An ischemic stroke occurs when a blocked vessel prevents blood—and therefore oxygen and nutrients—from reaching the cells and tissues of the brain; without blood flow, damage to brain cells can occur quickly. Our physicians are experienced in medical and surgical stroke treatments that may mitigate effects of stroke and aid in prevention of future strokes.
Standard surgical interventions include endovascular stent retrieval or intra-arterial thrombolysis; carotid endarterectomy; and carotid angioplasty and stenting. Whenever possible, strokes should be treated by an experienced stroke team at a comprehensive stroke center, like the one at Columbia University Medical Center/NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.
Stroke is a leading cause of death and disability in the United States. Ischemic strokes account for about 87 percent of all strokes. The remaining 13 percent are hemorrhagic strokes, which are caused by bleeding in the brain.
In an ischemic stroke, the blocked blood vessel may be either a carotid artery or a cerebral artery.
You have added pages to your clipboard. Please log in or create an account to share them or use later.
You are now being taken to Columbia Neurosurgery's site dedicated to the spine.
Use this button to save pages to your clipboard for future use.OK. Got it.